Years ago, The Princess went to see Why We Fight at Sundance, and the director, Eugene Jarecki, made an analogy about what the job of any good documentary film maker is. I'm going to paraphrase that now, otherwise the rest of this post wouldn't make sense. Someone wanted a solution to the many problems that Mr. Jarecki had pointed out in his film. I mean, the Military Industrial Complex is a huge problem. Jarecki didn't have an answer exactly, but he said that wasn't his job.
It goes like this:
Let's say that there is a tunnel where we know there are monsters. Documentarians, like journalists and bloggers, are the people that we would send down to hold the flashlight; they're simply shining a light on the things we need to find. They don't have the weapons to fight the monsters; that's not what they do. We send other folks down there with the weapons and tools to fight off the monsters.
Some months ago, I decided that I didn't want to hold the flashlight. It was actually aided by a Sundance experience of my own, in which I found that we do really need people to actually solve the problems (or fight the metaphorical monsters). The trouble is that I'm not very good at not shining a light. I like shining a light. But I want to have the weapon too.
So, I have to put on a mask. Masks are there for protection, but they're also there to hide who we really are. For some reason, and I apologize for beating this metaphor to death, it just doesn't work that we get to hold the light and hold the weapon. It's the world we live in, and I've chosen to embark on becoming the latter.
My light hasn't gone out, but I just can't shine it here anymore.
Honestly, I have had a blast going through my old posts and removing them. My life has had all kinds of ups and downs since starting this, and I've had a blast writing here. If I know you personally, you'll likely hear from me where you can find my hiding spot. If you don't, it's nothing personal. Just shoot me an email, call me, tweet me, whatever. Anyway, I thank The Faithful and anyone else who happened by.
Long Live The King,
Crippes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Mr King,
ReplyDeleteWhere have you gone? Have you arrived or still on your way? I know I showed up to this blog a little late but I would like to be kept in your loop. Please.
Thanks,
- TheMrRogers